Triple Chocolate Biscotti
March 23, 2015
Nectarine Tart
June 9, 2015
The Holiday Kosher Baker 1



Prep Time:

20 minutes, chill overnight

Cook Time:

60-70 minutes


covered at room temperature for up to three days or freeze for up to three months

Advanced Prep:

batter made 2 days in advance, baked canneles 3 days in advance


  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus one tablespoon to grease molds
  • ½ vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 large eggs plus two yolks
  • ¾ cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons rum

Preparation Directions

Place the milk, butter, scraped seeds and vanilla bean pod and salt into a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until hot, not boiling, and the butter has melted.  In a medium bowl, use a silicone spatula to mix together the eggs, yolks, flour and sugar into a paste.  Strain ½ cup of the milk mixture into the eggs and whisk in. Strain in half of the remaining milk and whisk in.  Strain in the remaining milk, discard the vanilla bean pod and whisk until combined.  Add the rum and stir.  Strain into another bowl, discarding any solids.   Let cool 10 minutes.  Cover and place in the fridge overnight.

Preheat oven to 475°F.   You will needed tobake in batches, washing the pan between each batch.  Place themold on top of a jelly roll pan.  Melt the remaining tablespoon butter and use a small pastry brush to grease the insides of the molds.  Pour the batter into the molds just below the top, about 1/8 of an inch from the top.  Wipe off any excess batter on top of the pan.

Bake for 10 minutes.  Reduce heat to 375°F and bake another 50 to 60 minutes or until pastries are very brown on top. The pastries may puff up out of the molds at some point, but they will come down before they are done.  If the cannelés are still puffing out of the molds after they have baked for 40 minutes, use the back of a small spoon to gently push the sides of the cannelés into the center and they will drop back into the molds.  Do not bang the tops; this is not whack-a-mole.  Remove from oven and immediately unmold onto a wire rack to cool.  Wash and dry molds and bake another batch.