Cranberry Meringue TartNovember 17, 2017
Banana Oat MuffinsMarch 4, 2018
38 minutes to prep sauce
Bake for 1 1/2 hours
store covered in the fridge
may be made 2 days in advance
- 10 pieces of chicken on the bone
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour (can use potato starch or other gluten-free flour)
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ medium red onions, chopped, about 3 cups chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped into ½-inch dice
- 1 Poblano pepper, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, tomatoes cut up a bit
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh marjoram leaves, chopped
Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat oil over medium heat in a large, deep saucepan and have a large baking pan ready nearby. Place the flour and some salt and pepper into a gallon freezer bag or large bowl and mix. Dredge the chicken in the flour, shake off excess and brown, about 4 pieces at a time, until browned, about 5 to 6 minutes per side. Place into the large baking pan.
When all of the chicken has been browned, scoop up and discard about 3 tablespoons of the oil in the pan. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, red peppers, Poblano, the red pepper flakes and bay leaves and cook for another 5 minutes.
Raise heat to high, add the white wine and stir. Cook for several minutes, stirring occasionally, until the wine has been reduced. Add the tomato paste, canned tomatoes and juices, vinegar and marjoram and stir. Cook for 3 minutes. Pour over the chicken in the pan. Cover with heavy-duty foil and bake for 1 hour. Uncover the pan, and bake for another 30 minutes.