Blueberry Pie with Lemon CrustAugust 6, 2015
Scones au ChocolatFebruary 9, 2016
in fridge for up to 5 days or in freezer
2 days in advance or frozen
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 onions, halved and sliced into half-inch slices
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 7 large red peppers, halved, seeds removed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 large fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 35 ounces canned whole peeled tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- bunch of fresh basil leaves (little more than half of a .75-ounce box)
- salt and white pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion, cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped orange pepper, cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped yellow cherry tomatoes, cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped cucumber, unpeeled, cut into ¼-inch pieces
Heat oil in a large soup pot. Add the onions and cook on medium-low heat until they are translucent, for about eight minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook for another three minutes. Add peppers, tomatoes, canned tomatoes and stock and bring to a boil. Add basil, cover and reduce heat to low to simmer soup for 45 minutes. Let cool slightly. Remove as many of the basil leaves as you can fish out and discard.
Using an immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor, purée the soup until completely smooth, for at least three minutes if using the immersion blender. Add salt and white pepper to taste. Add honey and stir. Serve hot or chilled.
To make the garnish, place the red onion, peppers, tomatoes and cucumber into a small bowl and toss. Top each bowl of soup with about two teaspoons garnish.