Cornbread ChallahNovember 21, 2016
White Corn SoupAugust 8, 2017
may be made 1 day in advance
- 4 tuna steaks (6 ounces each)
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped red onion, cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped into ¼-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained, or green olives
- 1/3 cup green or black olives (or a combination), about 12, cut into long slivers
- ½ teaspoon sugar
Sprinkle the basil, thyme and black pepper to taste on both sides of the tuna steaks. Heat a large frying pan over high heat, without any oil. When the pan is hot, add the tuna steaks and cook for one to 1 ½ minutes each side, just to sear the outside, leaving the center raw. You may cook the tuna completely through if that is how you like it.
Remove the tuna steaks to a plate. Turn the flame down to medium heat and add the oil. Add the red onion and garlic and cook for two minutes, stirring often. Add the capers, olives, sugar and black pepper and cook for one minute. Remove pan from the heat.
Place the tuna steaks on a cutting board and slice into 1/3 to 1/2 inch slices. Place slices on a platter and sprinkle the caper and olive mixture on top, or serve in a small bowl.
reprinted from The New Passover Menu (Sterling 2015)